- Gift Shop
- Clay Studio
- Support Us
- About Us
Call for Artists – Open Juried Fine Art Show – 2013
Chestertown RiverArts invites all artists residing in the United States and Canada to enter its first Open Juried Fine Art Show. Mediums of works acceptable for the show include: all paint mediums on paper, board and canvas; pastel; mixed mediums and collage; drawings and hand-pulled prints; photography; and sculpture and other 3D works. The work must be original, may be on any theme and must be completed in the past 24 months (i.e. May 2011 or later). Accepted works will be exhibited at the RiverArts Galleries from September 5, 2013 through September 29, 2013. The Juror is David Grafton of Easton, MD and the Judge is Mary McCoy of Centreville, MD.
Registration for the show is done on-line via the RiverArts web site, www.chestertownriverarts.org, and images of work will be submitted via email at registration. Acceptance into the show will be via these images. Each artist may enter up to four pieces. Registration for the show will open on May 15, 2013 and close on June 29, 2013.
Prizes awarded for any medium include “Best in Show” and “Juror’s Choice” and several “Awards of Excellence” and “Honorable Mentions”. Five medium specific prizes will be given for: watermedia painting; painting in oil or acrylic on canvas or board; pastel; photography; and a work in drawing, hand-pulled prints or mixed media. There will be one theme prize, “Best Representation of the Eastern Shore,” which may be in any medium and rewards work evoking the rural nature and/or bay and river life of the Chesapeake region. The judging will be shared by the Juror and the Judge and will be done on the received art works. Total monetary prizes will exceed $2400.
May 15 – On-line registration opens at www.chestertownriverarts.org
June 29 – Deadline for registration
By August 3 – Notifications are sent by email*
August 27 – 31 – Hand delivered work must arrive at RiverArts – 11am-4pm
August 23 – 30 – Shipped work must arrive at RiverArts
September 5 – First day of exhibition
September 6 – First Friday opening reception – 5-8pm
September 15 – Awards Ceremony Reception – 1–4pm
September 29 – Pick up hand delivered work – 3-6pm
September 30 – Pick up hand delivered work – 10am-2pm
By October 4 – Unsold shipped work placed in post
* Watch for schedule updates and additional information at acceptance
1 or 2 entries: $30 ($20 for RiverArts Members). Additional 1 or 2 entries $8 each.
Juror and Judge:
Show Juror David Grafton is an internationally-known painter with works in collections around the US and in Canada, Japan and Europe. He is collected by Earl Powell, Director of the National Gallery of Art and has had shows in NYC at the National Academy of Design; Allied Artists of America; and the Pastel Society of America. He is best known for his evocative, painterly landscapes and seascapes and for his bold abstracts. Based in Easton, MD, he has maintained a working gallery in downtown Easton (32 E Dover St) for over 10 years. He was juried in to the 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012 Plein Air Easton Competitions and has been an active teacher, muralist and juror.
Show Judge Mary McCoy has an academic background in Studio Art and has written extensively on art for many publications including the Washington Post and most recently as an art reviewer for local publications. She is also an accomplished sculptor specializing in found object installations and as a collaborator with her husband Howard McCoy. Their collaborative environmental sculptures have been featured at the Adkins Arboretum since 1999 and their work has been shown regionally in the Eastern United States and in Wales, Ireland and New Zealand. The McCoys have been central to the development of the Adkins’ art program and recently were recognized as the arboretum’s Volunteers of the Year for 2011.
1. Submitted images must be JPEG, one image per 2D piece and one or two images per 3D piece. Images should have 1200-2000 pixels along each dimension and be at most 2MB in size. Naming conventions must follow the registration requirements.
2. Final acceptance of the works into the show will be made by the juror on received works.
3. All work must be signed by the artists and priced for sale. RiverArts will retain 35% of all sales. Artists should indicate POR if they wish to defer stating their price until receiving a potential buyer’s request.
4. Size restrictions – hand delivered work:
a. Art for hanging including frame: maximums: 40” wide and 60” high; minimums 8” x 10”.
b. 3D works: maximums: 60” high; 24” wide; and 18” deep. Larger pieces should be suitable as free-standing on the gallery floor.
5. Size restrictions – shipped work:
a. Art for hanging including frame: maximums: 36” along either dimension.
b. 3D works: maximums: 36” high; 15” wide and 12” deep. Must be shippable by UPS.
6. Work for hanging must be professionally displayed and wired for hanging with wire anchored at the structural sides of the frame or canvas. Works with a barrier may use glass for works when the glass surface is less than 500 square inches. Otherwise Plexiglas must be used. All shipped works with barriers must use Plexiglas. Contact the show organizer if you have a non-traditional plan for hanging the work.
7. Works must include labels (on a non-viewing side of the piece) specifying: artist’s name; contact information; title of piece, medium and price.
8. Works may not be withdrawn before the end of the show.
9. Entries must not have been previously submitted to any juried show of the Chestertown Arts League or shown in any RiverArts sponsored event. (The RA Paint the Town, Wet Paint and Quick Draw events do not constitute a showing .)
10. Images of accepted work may be used by RiverArts for promotional purposes for this show and/or subsequent versions of this show. Attribution will be given for all such usages.
11. Heavy works, 3D greater than 50# or 2D greater than 20#, require consultation with the show organizer.
1. Shipped works must use UPS and must include a barcoded return label which charges return postage to the artist. The cost of all shipping and insurance is borne by the artist.
2. Attach repacking instructions to the outside of the received shipping box. Avoid all use of shipping peanuts, rather use shipping materials which “wrap” the work and remain well contained when unwrapped to facilitate ease of return shipping.
3. Shipped work must not be unduly fragile and include no glass barriers.
All work will be handled with the greatest care, but artists’ submissions to our exhibits are at the risk of the artist. If artists desire insurance, they must carry their own policy.
Show and gallery contact information:
Refer questions regarding this show to Show Organizer Rich Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-928-5012 and visit the RiverArts web page, www.chestertownriverarts.org, for updates on the show and for registration. For information about other RiverArts exhibitions contact the Exhibitions Chair Melinda Carl at email@example.com or 410-639-2575. Chestertown RiverArts is the result of the merger (in May of 2012) of Chester River Artworks and the Chestertown Arts League. The new galleries are found at 315 High Street (suite 106 in the walkthrough) in downtown Chestertown. Regular gallery hours are: Wednesday through Friday 11am – 4pm, Saturday 9:30am – 4pm and Sunday Noon-3pm.
RiverArts Gallery315 High Street Suite 106
Chestertown, MD 21620
Clay Studio204 High St Chestertown, MD 21620
RiverArts is supported by
Kent County Arts Council
Maryland State Arts Council