122 N. Queen Street
Chestertown, Maryland 21620
Basic Oil Painting Using Tole Techniques
Wednesdays – October 26, November 2, 9, 16
6:00 p.m. at KidSPOT
Cost- $135 members, $160 non-members
Decorative painting is a way to personalize and enhance everyday items. The methods are easy-to-learn and basic to all painting techniques. You learn how to hold and use a variety of brushes. The designs are traced on to the surface so drawing is not an issue. A small set of oil colors is all you need to get started. Oils are easy to use, easy to mix, easy to blend and easy to fix if you make a mistake. Once you get the hang of this, you can use the techniques to decorate wood, cloth, metal, glass and walls. You will be able to decorate your home accessories and make gifts. Most importantly, you will have fun being a painter.
- Brushes http://www.dickblick.com/
products/dynasty-black-gold- decor-sets/ Decorative Master Brushes, Set of 5 [suggested. Get more and better if you prefer. The better quality brushes will make work easier, by a lot. ]
- List $33.05
- Oil paints get one small set to start. Three possible sets are:
products/blick-studio-oil- color-sets/ $14.58
products/reeves-oil-color- sets/ $10.71
products/sargent-art-oil- color-set/ $5.56
- Paper towels
- Soap to clean brushes and stuff: hard bar soap like Felds Naphtha or/ Dawn dish soap
- Pallet: small pallet or pallet paper or styrofoam tray from under groceries well washed.
- Supply tote bag / box
- Terpenoid [Odorless turpentine comes in a variety of brands. Any is fine. This one is least expensive.] http://www.dickblick.com/
- Turn jar to hold the turpentine: http://www.dickblick.com/
products/silicoil-brush- cleaning-tank/ $6.07
- Pallet knife to mix paints
Surfaces (wood surfaces): [Check our Michaels and get something similar that you like if you prefer.]
- (Instructor provided.) Intro to materials, strokes & surface prep. Bristol paper that is varnished. Don’t worry about this one.
- Leaves & Daisies: Slate board http://www.michaels.com/
pepperell-crafts-chalkboard- slate-5in-x-7in/10564948.html# pmax=5&pmpt=qualifying&pmin=0& start=8 $3.99
- Apples: http://www.michaels.com/
artminds-pine-circle-plaque/ 10067602.html#pmpt=qualifying& sz=24&start=26 $6.29
- Pears: http://www.michaels.com/
unfinished-pine-wood-plaque- by-artminds/10264101.html# pmax=5&pmpt=qualifying&pmin=0& start=18 $1.99
- Mini painting: 6×8 canvas (farm scene).