Call for Artists
In July, Chestertown RiverArts will explore what makes life on the Eastern Shore a beautiful adventure as we ask artists to show us
“Faces and Places on the Eastern Shore.”
Everywhere you look, inspiration abounds! It is in the seasonal variations of color in the countryside and waterways where the light is ever-changing, from sharp sun shadows to stormy skies, to the soft, hazy glow of Ireland on the fields. It’s the ospreys returning each year to rebuild their nests and raise their young, or a female duck searching for a place to lay her eggs, followed closely behind by two or more drakes, who seem to call out, “pick me, pick me!”
Your inspiration could also be the faces of any living creature on the shore, or one from the past. Observe a Rock Hall waterman pulling heavy pots of crab and oysters out of the bay, silent hunters stalking their prey in the soft morning light, school children marching single file down the street, farmers tilling the fields, or livestock grazing in lush, green pastures. It’s a life of riches on the shore, and it’s your inspiration we want to see. Please join us in our celebration of life in “Faces and Places on the Eastern Shore!”
Open to All Media
Curator: Evie Baskin
Exhibition Dates: July 5, – July 29, 2018
Opening Reception: Friday, July 6, 5-8 p.m
Curator & Artists Talk: Thursday, July 12, 5:30 – 7 pm.
Drop-off: Sunday, July 1, 2 – 4 pm
Monday, July 2, 10am -1pm
Pick-up: Sunday, July 29, 2 – 4 pm
Monday, July 30, 10 am – 1 pm
Curator Evie Baskin is a native Floridian with a BA in Visual Art from Florida State University in Tallahassee. In 2008, she moved to Chestertown, finding it to be the small, art-friendly, college town that she and her husband, Jonathan, were searching for.
Evie’s rich palette and ability to capture the spark that lies beneath the surface are common threads in all of her portraits, whether human, beast or fowl. She also likes getting out of the studio to paint the seasonal changes in color and light reflected in the fields and waterways of the Eastern shore. In addition to pastel and oil, Evie also enjoys drawing in silverpoint.
Evie is a partner with The Artists’ Gallery in Chestertown and a member of The Working Artists Forum in Easton, Chestertown RiverArts, and the Maryland Society of Portrait Painters based in Annapolis. Her studio is located across the Chester River bridge in Kingstown. For more information, please see www.eviebaskin.com or www.theartistsgalleryctown.com.
Although online submission is not required, we highly encourage artists to pre-register using the online registration form below and payment.
- Upon submission of the entry form, (see below) you will be redirected to a payment page. Entries will not be accepted until payment is received.
Digital image of artwork should be in jpeg format for each entry (2 MB maximum size allowed), submitted with Entry Form.
Requirements for Art
- Art to be hung on walls should be dry and securely wired for hanging. Works on paper should be framed behind glass or plexiglass. Unframed works of fine art, e.g. paintings on canvas, are accepted if appropriately wired for hanging.
- Reproductions such as giclees are not accepted.
- Lithographs, etchings and other printmaking works of art should be created by the artist, numbered and signed.
- Photographic prints, digital and film, should be printed from the artists’ negative or digital file, ideally by or under the direction of the artist, and signed.
- Works of art requiring special or unusual display structures should be submitted along with the structure for display.
- Work should not have previously been shown in Chestertown.
- Artists submitting work will be asked to sign a contract at the time of submission giving permission for the work to remain at the gallery until the end of the show unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.
- All work must be for sale. A 35% commission is taken by RiverArts for all sales.
- Artists pay hanging fees of $10 per piece of art if a member and $20 per piece if not a member.
- Artists submitting work must pick up (or arrange with a friend to pick up) art at the end of the show during the checkout dates and times. RiverArts does not have adequate storage space to protect art.
- All work sent to RiverArts via USPS, UPS or another carrier must have a prepaid return label included.
PLEASE NOTE THAT IT WILL TAKE UP TO A MINUTE FOR YOU TO BE REDIRECTED TO THE PAYMENT PAGE. DO NOT HIT SUBMIT TWICE.
UNFORTUNATELY, THIS FORM WILL NOT WORK WITH IPADS OR MOBILE DEVICES. PLEASE USE A LAPTOP OR DESKTOP COMPUTER.
ONLINE REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE BRING YOUR WORK IN AT DROP OFF
SUNDAY JULY 1, FROM 2 – 4 PM
OR MONDAY, JULY 2 FROM 10 AM – 1 PM
– NO COMPRESSED PHOTO SUBMISSIONS
Please email email@example.com with any questions
or call 410 778 6300