Call for Artists, “Fragility,” Juried Photography
The photographer grasps a fleeting slice of time to capture an image that expresses what the mind perceives and feels. A strong image propels the photographer forward, inspiring the skillful use of tools to create a final image to be shared with others. “There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” (Ansel Adams).
“Fragility” is the theme of RiverArts Annual Juried Photography Show. Photographers are challenged to create images that invoke a sense of fragility: delicacy, vulnerability, a passing moment, a threat of brokenness, frailty of life. Photographs created from a wide range of subjects and techniques will challenge the viewers to engage with their eyes, their intellect and their emotions about our fragile existence.
Artist may submit up to 3 photographic images to the juror. Artists will be notified of acceptance four weeks before the drop off, thereby providing sufficient time for printing and framing. The show will be exhibited in RiverArts main gallery during the month of August. Artists MUST submit online for this show.
Best in Show will be awarded $150. Merit Awards will be awarded with no monetary prizes. A People’s Choice Award will also be awarded.
Curator: Sue Basener
Juror: Cal Jackson
Judge: Anke Van Wagenberg
Exhibition Dates: August 1 – September 2
Opening Reception: Friday, August 3, 5 – 8pm
Curators & Artists’ Talk: August 9, 5:30 – 7 pm
Online Submission Deadline: June 22
Artist Acceptance Deadline: June 29
Drop-off: Sunday, July 29, 2 -4 pm
Monday, July 30, 10 am-1 pm
Pick-up: Sunday, September 2, 2 – 4 pm
Monday, September 3, 10 am – 1 pm
Curator Sue Basener is an active photographer and member of RiverArts, beginning her association with local photographers as a member of the Chestertown Arts League. After retiring from her teaching career, she began her photography journey in her home darkroom. She has curated Photography Shows in the past and enjoys the relationships and challenges that develop in the process of curating.
Sue has studied photography with local photographers and is a member of the RiverArts Photography Club.
Juror Cal Jackson’s passion for art began as a child growing up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. After retiring from careers as a government auditor and tech company Chief Financial Officer, Jackson moved to Easton where he continues to refine his photographic skills and expand his portfolio of nature-inspired scenes. An itinerant traveler, his work has sent him to dozens of locations in the United States, Africa, Asia, Europe and the Pacific Islands.
Cal’s work was recently selected to be shown in a new gallery at the Thurgood Marshall, Baltimore Washington Airport. He was a finalist in the 2015 Nikonians’ international photography competition. His work has been displayed in Annapolis, MD, and throughout the Delmarva and at numerous art exhibitions. His many awards include Silver Heron (Kent Island Federation of Arts) and best representation of the Eastern Shore (Heron Point Annual Open Juried Show).
Judge Anke Van Wagenberg, Ph.D. is a Dutch art historian. She grew up and was educated in the Netherlands. She earned her Ph.D. in Art History from the Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam. She came to the U.S.A. in 1887 and began her career at the National Gallery of Art in Northern Baroque Painting. Since then she has worked for the Walters Art Museum, worked as Curator and Campus Gallery Director and taught Art History for 12 years at the University of Maryland system and Washington College.
Since 2011 she has been Curator at the Academy Art Museum in Easton, Maryland, where she curated exhibitions in contemporary art, on Mark Rothko, Robert Rauschenberg and many others. In 2018 she completed the research and writing of Jan Baptiste Weenix and Jan Weenix: The Paintings. She is currently documenting their drawings for a follow-up publication.
Here is a link to video interview with The Chestertown Spy on May 15, 2018
Anke lives in Easton with her husband and two children.
ONLINE SUBMISSION IS NOW CLOSED. ARTISTS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF ACCEPTANCE BY JUNE 29
ARTISTS MUST SUBMIT ONLINE FOR THIS SHOW
- Completed Entry Form (below). Limit: Three pieces of art.
- Upon submission of the entry form, you will be redirected to a payment page. Entries will not be accepted until payment is received.
Digital image of artwork should be in jpeg format for each entry (2MB maximum size allowed), submitted with Entry Form.
Submission Guidelines for Art
- Art to be hung on walls should be dry and securely wired for hanging. Works on paper should be framed behind glass or plexiglass. Unframed works of fine art, e.g. paintings on canvas, are accepted if appropriately wired for hanging.
- Reproductions such as giclees are not accepted.
- Lithographs, etchings and other printmaking works of art should be created by the artist, numbered and signed.
- Photographic prints, digital and film, should be printed from the artists’ negative or digital file, ideally by or under the direction of the artist, and signed.
- Works of art requiring special or unusual display structures should be submitted along with the structure for display.
- Work should not have previously been shown in Chestertown.
- Artists submitting work will be asked to sign a contract at the time of submission giving permission for the work to remain at the gallery until the end of the show unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.
- All work must be for sale. A 35% commission is taken by RiverArts for all sales.
- Artists pay hanging fees of $10 per piece of art if a member and $20 per piece if not a member.
- Artists submitting work must pick up (or arrange with a friend to pick up) art at the end of the show during the checkout dates and times. RiverArts does not have adequate storage space to protect art.
- All work sent to RiverArts via USPS, UPS or another carrier must have a prepaid return label included.
- PLEASE NOTE IMAGES MUST BE IN JPEG FORM AND NO LARGER THAN 2 MB
PLEASE NOTE THAT IT WILL TAKE UP TO A MINUTE FOR YOU TO BE REDIRECTED TO THE PAYMENT PAGE. DO NOT HIT SUBMIT TWICE.
UNFORTUNATELY, THIS FORM WILL NOT WORK WITH IPADS OR MOBILE DEVICES. PLEASE USE A LAPTOP OR DESKTOP COMPUTER. NO COMPRESSED PHOTO SUBMISSIONS .
Email email@example.com with any questions
or call 410 778 6300