Pattern: a natural or chance marking, configuration, or design
What patterns do you see in the beauty of the Eastern Shore? Curators Cindy Stafford and Anne Vansant challenge artists to capture a favorite pattern in any medium and enter the July show. Inspiration can be found in waves on the shore or corn in the field, or among the shapes, colors, and lines of nature.
Curators: Cindy Stafford & Anne Vansant
Exhibition Dates: July 3 – 28, 2019
Opening Reception: Friday, July 5, 5-8 pm
Gallery Talk: Thursday, July 11, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Drop-off: Sunday, June 30 , 2 – 4 p.m.
Monday, July 1, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Pick-up: Sunday, July 28, 2-4 p.m.
Monday, July 29, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Cindy developed her interest in art at an early age while watching her mother paint in her very limited free time. This interest developed into a love for watercolors during a high school art class. However, her college of choice, Washington College in Chestertown, did not offer studio classes at the time, and she pursued a BA in Sociology (1970) and an MA in Psychology (1980). Her journey included teaching elementary school in Centreville, serving as a hospital social worker at Kent and Queen Anne’s Hospital in Chestertown, and acting as a program director for the American College of Physicians in Philadelphia. When she began making plans to retire to her beloved Eastern Shore, she took a few weekend workshops at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. These provided the first tools for realizing her dream of mastering watercolors. Once she ended her day job and relocated, she took a brief series of classes with Linda Hall, whose work she greatly admires. She is still learning the secrets of this challenging medium, and enjoying the beauty of the Eastern Shore.
A native of Chestertown and its public schools, Anne holds degrees in psychology from Wilson and Washington Colleges. What began as a job teaching eight year olds at Kent School became a career and morphed into duties as Head of the Lower School. Loving all things creative, she has taken a variety of private and publicly offered classes through adult ed programs and RiverArts.
Artist may submit up to two (2) pieces of art. Although online submission is not required, we highly encourage artists to pre-register using the online registration form below and online payment. This streamlines the drop off for you, as we have all of your information, plus we have your digital image(s) that we may use to promote the show once it opens.
- Upon submission of the entry form, (see below) you will be redirected to a payment page. Entries will not be accepted until payment is received.
- Artists may submit up to TWO entries.
Digital image of artwork should be in jpeg format for each entry (3 MB maximum size allowed), submitted with Entry Form.
Requirements for Art
- Art to be hung on walls should be dry and securely wired for hanging. Works on paper should be framed behind glass or plexiglass. Unframed works of fine art, e.g. paintings on canvas, are accepted if appropriately wired for hanging.
- Reproductions such as giclees are not accepted.
- Lithographs, etchings and other printmaking works of art should be created by the artist, numbered and signed.
- Photographic prints, digital and film, should be printed from the artists’ negative or digital file, ideally by or under the direction of the artist, and signed.
- Works of art requiring special or unusual display structures should be submitted along with the structure for display.
- Work should not have previously been shown in Chestertown.
- Artists submitting work will be asked to sign a contract at the time of submission giving permission for the work to remain at the gallery until the end of the show unless special circumstances warrant otherwise.
- All work must be for sale. A 35% commission is taken by RiverArts for all sales.
- Artists pay hanging fees of $10 per piece of art if a member and $20 per piece if not a member.
- Artists submitting work must pick up (or arrange with a friend to pick up) art at the end of the show during the checkout dates and times. RiverArts does not have adequate storage space to protect art.
- All work sent to RiverArts via USPS, UPS or another carrier must have a prepaid return label included.
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR THIS SHOW. PLEASE BRING YOUR WORK IN TO THE GALLERY. YOU MAY REGISTER AND PAY AT THAT TIME.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
or call 410 778 6300