Children’s Show Opens in Studio Gallery on First Friday, January 6
Visitors to Artworks and the Chestertown Arts League have the opportunity to see through children’s eyes during an exhibit of work by students at seven local elementary schools– Garnett, Worton, Millington, Rock Hall, Galena, Radcliffe Creek and Kent School from January 6-28. Marj Morani is curating the Children’s Art Show at CAL. An opening reception will be held from 5-8 pm on First Friday, January 6.
Pickup of for the current Small Works show will be on Tuesday, January 3 from 12 to 3:00. If you would like to keep your art in our gift shop, please let curator Emily Kalwaitis know, and we will arrange for your small works entry to move to our gift shop.
Winter Member’s Show Opens in the Main Gallery on Friday, January 13
All members are invited to submit their favorite artwork for the January Winter Member’s Show which will open the second Friday on January 13 with an opening reception from 5 to 8:00. Three cash prizes will be awarded. Gordan Chapman, Jane Chapman and Lani Seikaly will be curating. Originally, slated to be a themed show, “Let it Snow”, the curators decided to change the show to an open-themed member’s show in part because of the lack of snow so far this year.
The drop-off dates for artwork will be Sunday, January 8 from 1 to 3:00 and Tuesday, January 10 from 10 to 2:00. Pick-up for the Beautiful Light Show will be at the same times.
The show will represent all medium and will include any content. Entry feels will be $8.00 for one entry or $15.00 for two entries. We need some help in hanging the show on January 10 from 1 to 4:00 so if you can help with that, please email Lani Seikaly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wanderlust will open First Friday in February in the Main Gallery
Curators Linda Kramer and Evie Baskin are looking forward to your iartistic nterpretations of this theme and have prepared the following Call for Artists.
Call for Artists for February’s Wanderlust Show
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber
Wanderlust is a yearning to roam, ramble, or wander, often without destination or plan (unlike what we usually call travel.) One could wander in one’s thoughts or dreams as well as geographically. Many artists wander around in the creative process, until they find what they are looking for. Wanderlust may represent a desire for new horizons, new ideas, perhaps even a new life. Our February show invites artists to explore not only the joyful aspects of wanderlust (the joy of wandering, searching, seeking, and discovering) but also its more complex side, those secret destinations.
The Wanderlust show will be in CAL’s Main Gallery from February 3rd through February 25th and is open to all artists (members and non-members of CAL.)
- All forms of media, from paint, pastel and mixed media to sculpture, graphite and photography are welcome.
- Artists may submit up to two pieces of original work that have not previously been entered in a CAL sponsored show.
- Work must be properly framed and wired for hanging; the wires must be securely attached mechanically to the frame sides. On the back of each piece please provide: title of piece; artist’s name; contact phone and/or email; and sales price (or NFS if not for sale). Work accepted must remain for the full run of the show.
- Entry fees are $5 per piece for CAL members and $12 per piece for others. Non-members who chose to join at sign-in will receive the member rate.
- The gallery commission is a 35% donation taken from any sales.
- Check-in at the CAL Gallery is Sunday, January 29th from 1:00 to 4:00 and Tuesday, January 31st from 10:00 to 2:00.
- Opening reception is on First Friday, February 3rd from 5:00 to 8:00.
- Unsold work must be picked up on Sunday, February 26th, from 12-4:00.
Co-curators Linda Kramer and Evie Baskin are looking forward to your participation in the show and invite you, if you like, to submit a brief description of your inspiration or interpretation of this intriguing theme. Please contact them with questions or for more information.