Call for Artists
RiverArts 2016 Juried Open Art Exhibit
The deadline for entries has passed. Please click here to view accepted work.
Chestertown RiverArts invites all artists to submit work for its Open Juried Art Show which will run from Thursday, June 2 through Saturday, June 25, 2016 in the RiverArts galleries. Register online to participate.
The mission of this exhibit is to showcase fine art created by contemporary artists working in a wide range of media and subject matter. The exhibit juror, at her discretion, will select artworks for exhibit in the RiverArts galleries and consideration for awards.
Awards will be granted by the exhibit Judge in the following categories:
- Best in Show
- Excellence 2D
- Excellence 3D
- Excellence Open
- Merit Awards in Painting, Drawing, Printmaking, Photography, Mixed Media, New Media/Open, Sculpture
Three special-category awards will be granted by special committee:
- Best Representation of Eastern Shore Life
- Best Watercolor Painting
- People’s Choice Award
The artwork awarded Best in Show will receive a $500 prize. Recognitions and prizes will be awarded for artworks granted excellence and merit distinctions.
The exhibit is juried by Marcy Dunn Ramsey, an accomplished artist whose paintings are a reflection of nature, but also of the relationship of that world to the psyche. Marshes are a primary source of inspiration, and the tangle and chaos of the grasses and reeds is a vehicle to explore the vitality of the life cycle. Ms. Ramsey’s studio is nestled into the bank of the upper Chester River where she observes its many moods.
Ms. Ramsey’s work has been exhibited in galleries and private collections both here at home and internationally. She is a participant in the Art in the Embassies Program of the U.S. State Department, sending her work to Brazil, Russia, Indonesia and Africa. Her work is currently exhibited at the Carla Massoni Gallery, in Chestertown, MD and the I. Pinckney Gallery in Beaufort, SC. She is a member of the Academy of the Arts in Easton, MD, and the Maryland Federation of Art in Annapolis where she also shows regularly. In the past few years she has become progressively more active in the Chester River Organization, whose mission is to restore the river to its previous health. She hopes to pursue her own mission, to convey through her work a sense of reverence for the natural world, for many years to come.
The exhibit is curated by Raven Bishop, RiverArts board member and award winning National Board Certified Visual Arts educator, mentor artist and community art consultant. Ms. Bishop adds to her work in the arts education a depth of experience as a practicing new-media artist. Her work explores the intersection of paradoxical realities through large-scale installation and experiential artworks as a means of personal and community healing. Her recent work explores the element of fire through the intersection of digital media, laser etching and fire-painting.
Artists may submit work in any 2- or 3-dimensional medium. Artists may submit up to three pieces of work in a digital format for the jurying process. Registration instructions are online.
Note: Installation artists must submit a separate one-page written and illustrated proposal documenting what will be exhibited. The proposal must include specific display instructions, including space and technology requirements.
- No reproduced work (except printmaking, photography or digitally created) will be accepted.
- All artworks must be for sale.
- Artists may not substitute, alter, change the price, nor withdraw a work after it has been accepted.
- RiverArts reserves the right to refuse any work it deems unsuitable or misrepresented.
- If accepted, all work must be ready for display upon arrival. Wall-mounted pieces must have adequate framing, hangers and/or wire. Three-dimensional work needs adequate installation instruction if it requires more than a standard pedestal. Artists shipping artworks must use plexiglass for framed artworks.
- Installation artists must install their own work and must make prior arrangements with festival staff to accommodate the installation.
- Artists are responsible for delivery and pick-up of their artwork. Artists are responsible for all costs associated with shipping artwork to and from the exhibit. Please contact RiverArts by phone or email if shipping artworks.
To enter the Open Juried Art Exhibit please complete the entry form below (includes uploading images) and submit payment. The following checklist will help ensure that we have all the necessary information for the artwork to be submitted.
Artists must submit the following:
- Completed Entry Form (below)
- Digital image of artwork in JPEG format (4 MB maximum size allowed) for each entry, submitted with Entry Form. Be sure images are labeled only with “Title of Entry.”
- $20 entry fee per piece; $10 entry fee per piece for RiverArts members. Upon submission of the entry form, you will be directed to our payments page.THE DEADLINE TO SUBMIT HAS PASSED
If you prefer to pay by check, please mail it to:
315 High Street, Suite 106
Chestertown, MD 21620
To pay in person, visit our Gallery at the above address during regular Gallery hours:
Tues-Fri: 11 am – 4 pm
Saturday: 10 am – 4 pm
Closed Sundays and Mondays
Submissions will not be recognized until payment is received.
Deadline to submit works for adjudication is Sunday, May 1.
Other Important Dates:
- May 6: Jurying finalized and Artists notified by email. Artists whose work is selected for the show will be listed on the RiverArts website.
- May 27: Shipped Artwork due by noon
- May 29 (1 to 3:00) or May 30 (10 – 2:00): All work must be delivered to RiverArts. Artists who can’t make these dates need to contact RiverArts at 410 778 6300 or info@ChestertownRiverArts.org to explore special arrangements.
- Friday, June 3 from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm:
First Friday Opening Reception
- Saturday, June 4 from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm:
Awards Ceremony & Artist Talk
Best in Show, Excellence and Merit award winners will receive awards.
Winners of Best Representation of Eastern Shore Life; People’s Choice and Best Watercolor Painting awards will be announced.
Artist talks will be given by the exhibit Juror, Judge and Coordinator.
Artists of accepted works are invited to attend the Awards Ceremony & Artist Talk with one guest at no charge. Additional tickets are $10 in advance and at the door.
- June 2 – June 25: Art will be on display at RiverArts. The gallery will be open each week, Tuesday through Friday from 11 to 4:00 and on Saturday from 10 to 4:00.
- Sunday June 26 (between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm) and Monday June 27 (between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm): Artists or patrons to pick up artwork.
Please Note:RiverArts takes a 35% commission on all art sold in the gallery. By submitting this Entry Form along with the Entry Fee, the artist attests to the following Liability Release Statement: Chestertown RiverArts & Judges will exercise professional care in handling all artwork and will be held blameless in all legal action arising out of any damage or loss of property while art work is on display in the exhibition space.